Hello there, I am Peter also known as Mr.CED around here. We are a young family in our thirties with two kids, on an express journey to Financial Independence (FI).
We created this blog to document our family’s journey to FI, to share with you everything we have learnt so far, and be a blessing to others.
I manage our family’s investing, and do the writing on this blog. Mrs. CED takes care of everything else! We are currently living the expat lifestyle in a bid to speed up FI.
Our main financial goal is to become financially independent. Here’s how we will do it:
- By building up location-independent semi-passive side-income, and
- By saving and investing as much as possible to generate 100% passive income
We are not seeking to retire early (RE). The main reason we seek FI is to have freedom, choices, options. We also want to give back to society in a more meaningful way than we can now with our busy working life.
What have we achieved so far?
- Went from a savings rate of 10% to 70% over the last 5 years.
- Created semi-passive online side-hustles that cover all our expenses. We now save 100% of my salary!
Our FI Strategy
- Make more money by growing my salary and by creating semi-passive location-independent side-hustles like blogging
- Reduce our spending as much as we can, without cramping our lifestyle too much
- Invest in low-cost index tracker funds for 100% passive income
- Optional: Geo-arbitrage by living in high cost of living (HCOL) locations now to maximise our income and IF we choose to, move to a Low Cost of Living (LCOL) location = GeoFI
Our side hustles play an important part in our FI plan. They propel us towards financial freedom and once we are there, we intend to keep doing them for 3 reasons:
- We love our side hustles, so why stop doing them? We don’t see ourselves doing absolutely nothing after FIRE anyway, life is too precious and exciting to stop experiencing in your thirties!
- Semi-passive side hustles that don’t have a 1:1 relationship between time input and money produced are perfect for the FIRE lifestyle
- Our side hustles already cover 100% of our expenses (both now and planned FIRE expenses) – this reduces sequence of return risk which is the biggest threat to those who FI/RE.
Are you New to FI/RE?
We have written an exhaustive beginner’s guide to Financial Independence and Early Retirement (FIRE). This guide is ideal if you are brand new to the concept of Financial Independence and want a no-nonsense simple easy-to-read guide.
Looking for Inspiration?
Check out our monthly side-hustle income reports where we detail all our multiple sources of side-hustle income. They now cover all of our expenses, so we are actually saving 100% of my salary!
We hope this blog will be of use to you, and if we have helped you in any small way please do let us know. Also if you have questions, comments, or just want to say hello, feel free to drop me a line.Note: None of the content on this website is financial advice, and I am not a financial advisor. Please see the disclaimer for more information.